Monday, October 15, 2007

Tucked In

Yesterday I finally accomplished something that's been lingering around for about 2 months. Back in August, we went to the nursery and got some plants for me for my birthday. That weekend I ended up passing kidney stones, so they didn't get planted. Then D's grandmother in the Philippines died and he went home for the funeral. While I was unsupervised a few more plants ended up at the house. Then my sister came and visited shortly thereafter, and would you believe that even more plants made it home. Then there was a clearance sale at Lowe's and I ended up with yet more plants. I make it sound like I had 50 plants, but it was really more like 10. Regardless, I had to go out and water them and move them around every few days, which got really old.

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day, and I resolved that if I got nothing else done I would get those plants in the ground. So late yesterday afternoon I set forth and got almost all of them put out. There are still one or two left, but they are more manageable than 10. I also evicted several other plants that had grown unruly and the whole place looks a little neater. Definately was happy to get that done.

Tonight when I got home from work I decided to make some soup. D is sick with a sinus infection again, and I felt like having some comfort food. So I decided to make the Irish Colcannon soup from this month's cooking light. I saw right away that the recipe needed to be modified some. For me the ideal potato soup has a light, creamy broth and is not congealed or floury. So since I had some reduced fat sour cream and some half-and-half in the refrigerator I used that. And since I had some ham that needed to be used, I put in some of that too. I was very pleased with the results, and I think I'm going to go have another bowl. ;)

Irish Colcannon Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 Tbs. butter
2 ½ c. small potatoes, cut into quarters
1 medium onion, diced
1 c. ham, diced
Salt & pepper to taste
4 c. broth
8 c. thinly sliced savoy cabbage
1 c. reduced fat sour cream
¼-1/2 c. half-and-half

In a stock pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, ham and potatoes and stir to combine. Cover and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the broth and cabbage, season to taste with the salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes and cabbage are tender. Remove from heat and add sour cream and half-and-half. Correct seasoning if necessary.

6 comments:

Serdic said...

Sounds like a wonderful dinner for a cool Canadian night, and would you look at that... we have ham to use up.

Huh. =)

Lythrum said...

What a coincidence! I'm truly glad for cooler weather, I love pots of soup on cool nights. :)

Kiy said...

Oh my, that looks good! Usually, your recipes sort of scare me (smile) but this one looks safe enough to try. I too love and adore Cooking Light. Problem is, after 8+ years of subscription ... they were taking over the house. I ended up canceling, but I miss getting that issue every month. Just the covers alone made me want to cook and bake.

Thanks for posting your recipe, and your changes. I am adding that to our dinner rotation for sure!

Kiy

Serdic said...

I made it tonight, and it was very tasty. Just what the doctor ordered, imo.

I wasn't able to get savoy cabbage, so I used napa instead. Very yummy!

The Singer said...

Yum. Yum yum yum.

Did I mention yum?

Lythrum said...

Some of my recipes scare me too sometimes. :) I went through an adventurous food period for a while, but pregnancy has taken the ginger out of me. I pretty much stick to bland, normal food. I don't keep my old cooking lights, I go through and pull out the recipes that look good to me and then keep them in a folder until I try them. Glad you guys enjoyed it. :)