
When I found out that my Dad was going to come for a visit I asked him to make a project for me. I had seen it in a gardening magazine, and it's a bird feeder that has a living roof that is covered with succulents. When I saw it I knew that I had to have one, and here is the one that he made for me. I got it planted with some plants and it's sitting under the back yard until the threat of rain passes. I'm going to try to keep it on the dry side until the plants get established and grow more roots that will hold the soil in place. Isn't she a beaut?
There isn't a lot of gardening news this week. We have the beds in place that we had planned for this year so now everything just needs to get settled. We might do one more under the bird feeder, because it looks kind of bare. I have some blackberry, blueberry and a couple of flowers that are still waiting for homes so they may go there. Here are some pictures of what's blooming today. The Butterscotch Jasmine pictured above was planted at the end of last year after the Peppermint Clematis looked like it keeled over. This seems to be doing very well and enjoying its new home.
The Angel Face rose is the first one out of the gate this year. Being moved a few weeks ago doesn't seem to have set it back much. Hopefully they will all get settled in and be happy.
The Pink Chintz thyme that is planted in the scree garden (the gravel around the paver stepping stones) seems to be right at home. Some of the scree transplants aren't too happy right now and I'm hoping that they'll recover. We'll see. :)
3 comments:
I love love love the bird feeder! I can't believe all you have done with your backyard, it looks wonderful. We, on the other hand, are lucky to remember to call the guy to come and mow the lawn. Gardening is not our strength. :)
I owe you an email ... needless to say, it's still in the works!
Cheers for now, kiss the little one for us.
Hi! I love your succulent birdfeeder! Your Dad was so great to build you one! I am trying to come up with plans to make a roof from either plastic or metal...with drainage holes...so I won't have to contend with rotting wood. It is so humid year round here in South Florida...I have to worry about that. Anyway...just wanted to say hi and how much I like your birdhouse. Is it all filled in now?????
What a unique idea! While I have often admired a living roof on top of a building, I never thought to put one on top of a bird feeder. With succulents! I'm going to go rummage through some scraps to see what I can put together before the end of the summer.
Post a Comment