Sunday, May 16, 2010

Who Are You And What Did You Do With My Plant?

Last year I ordered a Fulva Louisiana Water Iris from Bonnie's plants. It was a little slip of a plant when it came in, and it didn't bloom last year. This year it was going gangbusters, and started sending out a flower stalk. I was anxiously waiting for the bloom, because the pictures of the vibrant copper colored iris plant were so beautiful. Then as the bud started developing more, I thought that it looked a little dark, and sort of purplish. But I held out hope that maybe those were outer petals and it would still bloom. But alas, it was in full bloom yesterday, and it isn't the Fulva water iris. It looks to me like it is the Black Gamecock Louisiana Water Iris. I'm not terribly upset because I did like this iris too, but I liked the other one better. I even saw the black gamecock iris at Lowe's and thought about buying it, good thing I didn't. It really is a beautiful iris, the photo is close to the real color, but it still looks more purple. The flower really does look black from a distance. Hey, as long as it's blooming, I'm happy. :)

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a beautiful Iris , never seen one like it before....

Aiyana said...

It is pretty. But, I always hate it when something turns out not to be what I wanted--seems that every time that happens with me, I get more yellow! And, I don't need more yellow in my garden!
Aiyana

Gail said...

That is disappointing~Purple is pretty, but it's not orange! gail

Anonymous said...

Still nice. Plants have minds of their own.