Friday, October 22, 2010

The Mum that Ate Alabama, Revisited

For several years, my front flower bed was graced by a mutant mum that ended up being about three feet around. It was growing all over the other flowers and looked like it was eating them. I dug it up last fall because it was just too big and floppy to be there in the front. We have a drainage ditch in the back yard, and a dead space behind it that has been the dumping ground of various bushes and large garden waste, until we were ready to do something with it. I chalked it up to the plant graveyard in the sky and went about rebuilding the garden this year.

The Gnomeslayer and I went for a walk around our lot collecting leaves to make a fall leaf book, when I happened to glance over and see this:


It was TMTAA, thriving (albeit much smaller) along the back fenceline. It looks like we finally found something that will grow there. :) It can grow to its heart's content back there, because there is no competition. Though if it starts to eat the house it might have to go again. It actually makes me very happy, because as a gardener it hurts to dig up a plant that is obviously thriving, when there are so many things that don't make it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a similar petunia growing at the base of a tree with snags and branches all around it. Someone must have dumped it there and it just refused to die. There's a lesson in there somewhere. :)

Rosemary said...

Lythrum This a lovely mum. So glad it is happy where you "tenderly" moved it. Now it can take over Alabama from there.

Gail said...

It's a pretty flower and loves your garden!

Lythrum said...

I'm afraid to pay any attention to it and clean up around it...might kill it. :) Thanks for the comments ladies. :)

Bonnie said...

It sounds like a mum I have. It thrives wherever it's planted and takes over. I hate to get rid of it because it's so pretty.

abby jenkins said...

you should see the discarded onions, garlic and potatoes which are now thriving plants in my compost!
Why is it I can't keep them alive in my garden beds?! Too much love?