I have been taking college classes after work, and
eventually online since 1998. At first I took them for a challenge, but
eventually I started pursuing a degree. The stress of working, taking care of a
household (and eventually a baby), and studying began to take its toll. There
were many times that I wanted to quit, thinking that a degree was not worth the
problems that it was causing. After getting laid off from work last year, and
trying to job search without a Bachelor’s degree, the importance was reinforced
to me. And now, finally, I have completed my last classes and am awaiting
graduation. My brain, once numb and strained, has started to slowly wake up
again. I can’t put it into words quite as well as Sue Hubbell, one of my
favorite authors. Her writing was about the time after her husband left her,
but I found it to be an appropriate description of what happened to me with the
classes:
“And for a long, long
time, my mind didn’t work. I could not listen to the news on the radio with
understanding. My attention came unglued when I tried to read anything but the
lightest froth. My brain spun in endless, painful loops, and I could neither
concentrate nor think with any semblance of order. I had always rather enjoyed
having a mind, and I missed mine extravagantly. I was out to lunch for three
years.….
One spring afternoon, I was walking back down my lane after getting the mail. I had two fine new flowers to look up when I got back to the cabin. Warblers were migrating, and I had been watching them with binoculars; I had identified one I had never before seen. The sun was slanting through new leaves, and the air was fragrant with wild cherry blossoms, which my bees were working eagerly. I stopped to watch them, standing in the sunbeam. The world appeared to have been running along quite nicely without my even noticing it. Quietly, gratefully, I discovered that a part of me that had been off somewhere nursing grief and pain had returned. I had come back from lunch.
Once back, I set about
doing all the things that one does when one returns from lunch. I cleared the
desk and tended to the messages that others had left. I had been gone for a
long time, so there was quite a pile to clear away before I could settle down
to the work of the afternoon of my life…”
(Sue Hubbell, A CountryYear, 1983)
In my case it wasn’t grief and pain that my mind had
retreated from, just an overwhelming workload that suppressed the curious and
artistic side of me. Toward the end, when I was working full-time and carrying
a full-time course load, there wasn’t room for more than barely function in the
necessary departments. But now I am back from lunch, and ready to move on.
And if you have never read any of Sue’s books, I would
highly recommend that you check them out.

1 comment:
Congrats on toughing it through. Hopefully things will get better from here on out.
Post a Comment