We are 28 days out from our planned move to Alabama. Our neighbor across the street is buying our house, and everything seems to be going smoothly (knock on a sylvan's head). We spent the afternoon outside working on whipping the back yard into shape. It's been raining quite a bit lately, and it's been like a jungle out there. I did the weed whacking while D. mowed. It's been cooling off slightly in the later afternoon, so it wasn't too bad.
I agreed to help one of the ladies at church make a quilt for the fall harvest festival. Unfortunately I'd already committed to it before I found out about the move. So I got my required block rows put together earlier today. I am also working on a TOP SEKRIT project that I've been having fun with.
So one of my favorite dishes to get at the Mexican restaurant is one of their vegetarian platters with a potato burrito. I like them a lot, but they way that they cook it is not consistent from one visit to the next. Sometimes it is plain, sometimes greasy, and sometimes good. So I have been wanting to figure out how to make my own, without using dairy products. I made some tonight for supper and they turned out pretty good. Very spicy. I'm going to be making friends with my Tum's bottle tonight. :( Here's the recipe I used for the filling:
Spicy Potato Burrito Filling
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 onion, chopped
4 c. potatoes (plus or minus), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 can Rotel tomatoes or other brand of canned tomatoes with green chiles
1-2 tsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. smoked spanish paprika
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the skillet over medium heat and add canola oil. Add the onion and saute until onions begin to brown. Add the potatoes and toss to combine. Cover tightly and bake until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove skillet from the oven.
Uncover and add the tomatoes, brown sugar, paprika, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Add a little extra water if it looks too dry. Place on stovetop over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add green onions and cilantro, toss to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
I really tried to take a picture of it to post, because it makes a very pretty filling, but my camera doesn't take pictures well inside. My house is too dim and all of the pictures came out looking like baby poo. I'll have to make efforts to do better. :)
3 comments:
Oh boy... it looks like teh yummy!
I'm excited for you guys and the move. I hope it goes well! =)
So about that Top Secret project... wanna give me a hint?
I'm going to do my best not to turn into a whimpering, quivering mass of jello at the thought of you guys moving away. That said, please don't hold it against me if I slip up and cling to your ankles whilst begging you not to go.
All kidding aside, I'm gonna miss you guys like crazy. *sigh*
Mmmm...jello...shouldn't make comments about that with Blood Oath people hanging around. Their blood pressure can't take the excitement. :D I'm seriously going to miss everyone, too bad I can't pack you up and bring you with me.
P.S. I ate the potato burrito filling leftovers for supper today, and it's my lunch tomorrow. I should be heartily sick of it and ready to try something else. :)
Post a Comment