Monday, March 19, 2007

Hopeless

Since I've been spending a ton more money on books than I'd like to lately, I decided to get started going back to the library more often. That way I can read to my heart's content and not have to pay anything (unless I'm late taking them back!). You know that sounds really good in theory, but there are two evils at work here: previewing books that I like and the Amazon Marketplace where I can have access to thousands and thousands of used bookstores across the country. Case in point:

I've always been a sucker for regional cookbooks, and have always tried to find one for each area that I have lived in. I've been stumped on a regional cookbook for Minnesota. When I was at the library on Sunday I came across this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Savoring-Seasons-Northern-Heartland-Dooley/dp/0816645744/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7914975-6964722?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174358824&sr=8-1
The book is great, it has a lot of commentary and history on the region in it, and some downright tasty (though not healthy!) recipes. So of course I had to buy it. I've found myself prowling around the AM several times in the past few days and I think I'm going to have to start blocking the site now.

My problem is that even though I am telling myself that I really don't NEED anymore books I can complete the transaction in less than two minutes so there isn't time for the buyer's remorse to kick in. Normally when I go to a real book store I will pick up an interesting book, decide to buy it, carry it around for about 5 minutes and then put it back. Just the act of making the decision to buy it makes me feel better, and the hassle of having to actually go check out makes it not worth it. I hope that I don't have to make the library off limits like the bookstores are now. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As vices go, bibliophilia isn't too bad. But I hear you on the money spent, not to mention the dwindling amount of bookshelf space. I just went through a spate of bookstore retail therapy right before my eye surgery. It was most satisfying.

So do I need to tell you to step AWAY from the keyboard? ;)