
Or Me 1 - Feral Yeast 0
Second attempt for a rematch and it was much more successful than the last. The main reason is that I decided to use sourdough, which I've had better luck with in the past than straight yeast breads. I had some leftover pumpkin from making some pumpkin oatmeal cookies and wanted to find a recipe to use it. So I found a pumpkin dinner roll recipe online and used a sourdough recipe conversion spreadsheet to remake the recipe. I attempted it starting last night and these were the results today. Here's the recipe that I used:
Sourdough Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
1 c. sourdough starter
3/4 c. milk (or soy milk)
4-5 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. canola oil
1 c. canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Combine starter, milk, 2 c. flour, canola oil, pumpkin, brown sugar and spices in a large bowl and mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave to sit for about 24 hours. Remove plastic wrap and stir spond. Combine remaining flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture to sponge and stir until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Turn dough out and knead 3-4 minutes, adding flour only to keep from sticking.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough into 24 equal portions and roll them into balls. Place several inches apart on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 15 minutes. Brush tops with milk and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
For some reason I was thinking that the rolls would come out pretty sweet and I wasn't thinking they would be a good dinner roll. They aren't though, they are just right. Really rich tasting with a subtle spicy taste. I plan on trying them again for holiday rolls this fall. :) They turned out slightly heavy and I'm thinking it's because I didn't use bread flour or maybe needed to knead it longer. I'll have to do some tweaking to make it better.
1 comment:
Go, you!! YAY!
Mmm, pumpkin rolls. Maybe Rob & I should visit in the fall... ;D
Post a Comment