Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


Work finally started on our privacy fence today. We commissioned it a couple of weeks ago but it was raining last week and they didn't get started on it. I am so excited because we have never owned an honest to God real all around privacy fence. We have a lot of projects that we are planning for the back yard, but we didn't really want to start on any of them until we had the fence.
One of our challenge spots that we are going to be doing something with is the drainage ditch in the back yard that cuts off the back 1/3 of our back yard. I'm not sure why they chose that drainage option because it makes the back part of the yard mostly unusable. Don't worry though friends, I have a plan. The main problem that I have with the current drainage ditch is the fact that the soil is eroding as the rainwater flows over it. What we plan on doing is to dig it out a bit more and make a dry gravel streambed and incorporate features that will help keep the soil in place and out of the local streams. We will plant some rain garden type plants that can deal with water or drought on the edges and then put a wooden bridge over it, like one of these:
And then all along the back fenceline I plan on planting the whole thing in blackberry brambles. So in this way we will be able to utilize our whole backyard instead of just writing off the part with the ditch in it. The other advantage is that by fencing it we won't have to worry about the kids riding their dirt bikes and four wheelers through it. Now if only it will all work out as smoothly as that. ;)

No comments: