Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cleaning Up

We had some more rain for the last few days. It ruined my plans for getting a lot more garden rearranging done. We even had the tornado sirens go off and had to visit the closet in our bedroom. :) Today started out overcast and didn't look too promising, but ended up being a beautiful afternoon. So I took out the Gnomeslayer so that she could ride her tricycle and get some sunshine, and then we went for a walk. When we got back in, I left her with Q and then went outside to get some work done. I am trying to get everything done, slowly but surely. Joseph's Coat is putting on a beautiful display to end the year with, and I got a couple of good shots. I had to stand on tip-toe and hold up the camera to get them, so I'm surprised that they turned out at all.

Today my mission was to evict Lady Banks from the garden. I really didn't want to, I love the flowers on it. Unfortunately it only has flowers for a week or so, and then nothing for the rest of the year. It started going crazy and hanging over the fence into our neighbors yard. Aiyana mentioned that the plant gets heavy and needs lots of support, and I agree with her - too much work for me to put up with. So I waded into the corner it was growing in and scalped it. I have a huge pile of vines to get rid of. ;) I did make an interesting discovery. We knew earlier in the year that a bird had made a nest in the corner of the fence. We were never able to see it, but we saw mama flying in with worms in her mouth. Here is the nest.

The butterscotch jessamine is covered with buds that have started to open.

Elle has a couple of saved rounds left.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

I am drooling over your roses, still flowering so beautifully. The jessamine how lucky to be able to grow it and Lady Banks , our weather is too harsh.

Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to get some outdoor work done. This time of year is a favorite here for those types of major cut it down chores. Joseph's Coat is stunning and those were excellent shots of it. Too bad for Lady Banks, but sometimes things are just too big for the spot. We just took out a Caroline Jessamine that was eating the house, growing under the siding and into the gutters. This was a replacement for a large rambling rose in the same corner, Alberic Barbier, aka Killer, that also was taken out. This is a magic spot of earth that grows plants too well. Next up, Rosa Glauca, hope it will mind its manners. HA
Frances

Gail said...

The Joseph's Coat is delightful~I appreciate the tiptoe dance to get the shot! I also evicted the jessamine from one spot in the garden~~it was climbing up toward the roof shingles! I relocated it to a fence in the backyard...where i hope it will bloom its heart out. I imagine the Gnomeslayer needed the sunshine as much as the gardener!

gail

Lythrum said...

Thanks ladies. :) It did both of us good to get outside, I have been going stir crazy. I have big plans for this weekend, it's supposed to be sunny the whole way through!

Aiyana said...

Such a shame to have to deal with the Lady Banks. I don't ever plant them for reason you ended up having to get rid of it. Once something is in for me, I find it very difficult to take it out, even if I have excellent reasons!
Joseph's Coat is supposed to be a good Arizona grower, but I've not tried it. I have a bare spot from one rose that didn't survive our terrible summer. Your photo has inspired me to go out and get one this weekend!
Aiyana

jagadeesh Balehadda said...

nice pics sir