Friday, December 18, 2009

Seeds

Back in November I placed an order for seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I frequent their i dig my garden forum, and had read about Ozark Razorback cowpeas. I *knew* that I had to grow some in my vegetable garden that I am planning and hurried to get them before they sold out. I got in the order yesterday and it gave me gardening withdrawal. I have been poring through other sites looking for the rest of the seeds that I want, and it really taxes my self-control. I know that it is very important to start with a small and manageable area and crop expectation. I don't even have the garden built yet, so I need to be realistic about what to plan.

My main goal was to have a salsa garden this coming year, but my attention wandered and I got a few other things. I grew some Blaushokker peas (they have blue pods) one year in North Carolina and I found some blue podded peas in their catalog. I also love okra, but it's hard to find it that isn't tough already in the store so I picked out some Alabama Red Okra. Since I'm growing Arkansas Traveler tomatoes and Tennessee Beauty strawberries, I thought it would be fun to have a plant that is named after every state that we have lived in. I think for Virginia I might get some Carwile's Virginia peanuts, and there is Carolina Wonder sweet pepper. That leaves me needing Minnesota...not sure what I'll do about that one. :)

I can tell that I'm going to have to rein myself in on a daily basis!

ETA: When I was trying to think of seeds for Minnesota it occured to me that I could grow some sunflowers. Minnesota is one of the main producers of sunflower seeds, and I remember seeing huge fields of them when I was growing up there. Maybe that's what I'll do. :)

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

Lythrum, you have given me gardening withdrawal symptoms too. The seeds you have chosen look very interesting..

Anonymous said...

Hi Lythrum~~ Seeds are the epitome of hope, aren't they? There is something visceral that happens to me when I've got a packet of seeds in my hand.

Kiy said...

Just popping in to wish all of you a Happy New Year. Hope you guys are all staying warm and the snow is gone (or, I hope it's gone if you want it gone - I hear some folks actually like snow ... astounding!). :)

Chat with you soon, Kiy

countrypeapie said...

LOVE Baker Creek! We ordered all of our seeds from them last year. We had tomatoes growing out the wazoo! We over-ordered, so we still have a bunch to try this year. Getting near time to think about starting them....

Have fun with your veggie garden!