Sunday, March 07, 2010

An Acquisition, and a Maintenance Task

The Gnomeslayer and I took a field day trip to Across the Pond a couple of weeks ago. It was a beautiful day and I wanted to get her outside. She likes to see the big fish there. Not to get diverted, more on that in a later post. While we were there I found a really cool pot for my bowl lotus. It has been growing in a plain black tub (see below) for the last few years, and I wanted something a little more decorative.

This is actually the first time that I have ever divided one so I was a little nervous. Lotus tubers are very delicate, and if you break off their growing tip they are worthless.

Lotus roots/tubers have to be planted in round containers because if they are in square containers the growing end can get stuck in a corner and break off, killing the plant.

I was able to get eight divisions from the tub, not a bad return on investment. :)

No comments: