Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Fun With Photoshop - Part II

My second Photoshop challenge was my sister's baby picture. My mom is not known for taking care of pictures, and this one had a rough time. It used to be framed, then stuck to the glass. Somewhere along the way the glass got broken, and fell off of the top part that wasn't stuck. Then:
  • Algae grew along the crack lines
  • The colors bled from humdity
  • My mom's dogs chewed on the corner
  • There were torn spots missing
  • It was dirty
  • There were specks and spots of undetermined origin on it
  • There were spots of mold growing on it

I finally got her to give me some of the pictures so that I could get them scanned before they got totally destroyed. I'm still working on her for the rest, but I was stumped at how to fix this one. I had to lay it on the scanner, broken glass and all to get it scanned in. I think that it turned out good overall, but the problem is that the cracks ran over her nose, eye and mouth. I patched up the eye and mouth by cloning parts of the opposite side, but I'm still not that happy with how the nose turned out. Since the light was coming in from the side, the shadow was off, but you can only spend so much time on these things. I had to do a lot of cloning and blurring to cover up the many problem areas, so it lost a lot of the original detail. I'll be interested to see if I can fix it better after I have my graphics editing class. Did I say yet that I love my Photoshop now? :)

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Wow I am impressed , your sister will be so happy to see this picture restored.

Lythrum said...

I have to get better at working with the shadows, because it doesn't look quite right. And I'm not crazy about the nose. But at least you can see her now. :)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie! What can be done with Photoshop is miraculous. You've done a wonderful job on restoring this photo.

Aiyana said...

Great job! You are quite good!About 13 years ago I paid almost $700 for a photo restoration on an damaged 8"X10" photo of my kids--I thought it was the only one I had. The restorer did a wonderful job and I was grateful, regardless of the expense. Several years later, I learned my former in-law had a copy of the photo! My memory was faulty--an expensive lesson. Anyway, I learned to do my own photo restoration because of that experience and I dabble in it occasionally.
Aiyana

countrypeapie said...

Wow -- impressive job!

Gail said...

I wish I had kept some badly damaged photos~~now that I know there is such a marvelous technology! You've done a really excellent job of repairing what sounds like a photo in terrible shape! gail