Monday, July 26, 2010

If Only I [Insert Phrase], Then I'll [Insert Phrase]

I was thinking today how insidious procrastination is. It's not necessarily about gardening, though it certainly applies there also. I was actually thinking about my mom today. I don't remember how many times when we were growing up she would write herself notes to "Start Diet Tomorrow!". Or how many times she talked about how if she got a new place to live she would take care of it, I mean, really keep it up nice. The diet never stuck, and when my mom did get a new place it quickly became as run down as the previous one. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a post to be down on my mom. More it's sadness for not realizing that things that get put off until "later" usually don't happen at all.

I was thinking today of how life seems to be a test sometimes. If you take care of the things that are given to you, you seem to get more. I remember this from when my husband and I first got married. We didn't take care of our house, our finances or each other. As soon as we started taking responsibility for the things that we had, we started to get so many more blessings. I know that there have been many times when The Gnomeslayer has waaaaay to much energy for me and I just want to lock myself in a room by myself just so I can have some rest. I think that I'll make sure to play with her tomorrow, give her more attention tomorrow, read her that book tomorrow. But what if tomorrow doesn't come? We take it so for granted that there will be a tomorrow, but I have been trying to live my life without that assumption. Excuse me please, I have to go read "Fox in Socks" to my little one. :)

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Great post. You are so right. Sometimes we get so busy we forget to take care of each other, to stop and appreciate each moment , they never come again.

Kat said...

Amen sister!

countrypeapie said...

i love this post ~ thanks for the reminder