Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gnat

I have developed the attention span of a gnat. I keep so busy with work that I drift from one thing to another when I get home because I'm mentally worn out. I'm hoping that when spring comes and I can start working on my garden that it'll get me settled in again, but I'm not so sure it will work. One of my main pleasures in life before was reading. I could sit and read a book for long periods of time over the course of weeks. Now I start the first few chapters and then don't pick it up for a month or two. So I've discovered something that I previously was not so fond of - short stories and essays. I'm currently reading two collections - "Cornbread Nation I" and "A Naturalist Buys An Old Farm". Cornbread Nation is a collection of essays on southern cooking written by various people. A Naturalist Buys An Old Farm is a collection of the writings of Edwin Way Teale about a farm that he bought with his wife in Connecticut. I like it because I can just dip into them now and then depending on my mood and I don't feel like I've missed anything or forgotten anything. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to settle down into a good book, but for now I have something to keep my attention.

No comments: