Sunday, February 04, 2007

Yeast Bread 1, Home Team 0

I have gotten to the point where almost everything that I cook turns out good. I can't remember the last time that I made something that was totally inedible. One of the challenges that I have always had is that I have never been able to make any yeast-raised baked goods. I've decided that I'm going to change this tradition, and this weekend was to be the beginning of it.

The first recipe that I aimed to try was this: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/king-cake.html. I have read about King Cakes before and really wanted to try one. So I found the recipe and bought the things I needed. With a confident air after my baking successes with cookies at Christmas, I set forth to do battle with yeast breads. Needless to say that it turned out to be a complete and utter failure. :( I think I may have lost track counting cups of flour, because the dough turned out REALLY dry. I mean really dry. I made a valiant effort to save it, but it came out dense and heavy and ended up in the garbage can. I still had a bowl of cream cheese filling, and decided that I'd try to salvage it by making it into frosting for a carrot cake.

I've never actually made a carrot cake before, but I have recipes and some old carrots that needed to be used. I got it mixed up and put in the oven to bake. I shouldn't have been very surprised to see that the carrot cake was also a flop. Didn't rise and was really oily. At this point I gave up and left the kitchen. Sometimes it's better to quit while you're ahead and try again another day.

You may have won this battle Yeast Bread, but I'll win the campaign.

2 comments:

Serdic said...

Solidarity sister! We'll win this war on yeast!

And mmm.... that king cake looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

You're a fabulous cook, so don't let this yeast bread thing get to you!