Saturday, September 26, 2009

Snickerdoodles

It's been a really quiet, relaxing weekend. It's been raining all weekend, and we haven't left the house at all today. That's actually very strange for us, because we're usually either running errands, going to get some food, getting some coffee or pastries or just getting out of the house for a drive. Since the concert is in town all weekend and it has been a monsoon outside, there was no temptation to leave.

This morning started out slow. I heated up some of the leftover pumpkin pancakes I made last weekend. We got a lot of housework and decluttering done. For lunch Q made some Beef Picadillo, and then the Gnomeslayer and I took a nap. I made Pork Schnitzel from Cooking Light for dinner and it turned out pretty good. I agree with most of the reviewers that said that they didn't call for enough oil and you have to add more to make it brown right. The cabbage/noodle mixture was really good though. Then afterwards GS and I made some Snickerdoodles. She's too young to really understand what she is helping with, and most of her effort was taken up with sticking her finger in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and licking it. I'm not sure what to think about this recipe. It appealed to me because there was no shortening in it. The dough ended up being to dry, and the cookies took longer to bake than the recipe called for. The second and third batch didn't even get done all the way. I'm not sure what the deal is, but from reading the reviews some had it come out perfect and some had similar problems. I have to make another batch next week and I'm not sure I'm going to use this one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lythrum ~~ Rain is about the only thing that can keep me indoors. It sounds like you had a cozy day. I hope you have better luck with your next batch of Snickerdoodles.

Rosemary said...

What a great way to spend a rainy weekend.... Love the idea of pumpkin pancakes......... look for that recipe !How frustrating to make cookies and they not turn out, still how bad could cookies be?

Lona said...

Love snickerdoodles but have never tried to make them.Maybe you will have better luck next time. Anyway you spent wonderful time with the little helper.

Serdic said...

Kiy finally got her batch of snickerdoodles. I managed to not eat the entire batch! Yay snickerdoodles.

Just popping by to say hi.

Lythrum said...

Hey Serdic! Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on the wedding. :)