The Gnomeslayer is five now, and I have started working on getting her involved in doing more homely tasks. She has always "helped" me cook, helped me unload the dishwasher, put her dishes in the sink when she's finished eating, cleaned up her toy messes, and made her bed. But now that she is a big girl, I wanted to start teaching her some other practical skills that are also fun. So we have started working on her first quilt, to help her learn how to sew. I picked out some bright fabrics and cut them into squares, and she is helping sew them together. I have to say that it takes a brave person to help a child learn how to sew...you are subject to lots of pin pricks and a wandering attention span. So far we work through one seam joining two blocks per day. When she starts to get the hang of it we might try doing more, but that seems to suit her attention span for now. She is very excited to be making her own quilt, though less enthusiastic when she realizes that it is actually "work" and isn't instantly done. I love being able to share one of my favorite pastimes with my little girl.

No comments:
Post a Comment