Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Shortbread Pan

Every year at Christmas time I break out my shortbread pan and bake at least one batch of shortbread. We have a neighbor who is very fond of shortbread, and always brings the Gnomeslayer treats throughout the year on holidays. So on Christmas I make a treat for him and his family. Shortbread is something that I don't make often, because it doesn't exactly fit anywhere into a healthy diet. I think that I ordered it from King Arthur Flour while we were living in Virginia, probably about fifteen years ago, and have made shortbread in it annually. Since I am of Scottish descent, I have a natural affinity for thistles and shortbread. The only downside to it is that residue from the shortbread gets stuck in all of the crevices no matter what I try to do. The only remedy that really cleans it out is to sit down with a toothpick and run it through all of them. It would probably be easier to just use it as a kitchen decoration and pat out rounds of shortbread on a baking sheet, but I guess that you have to sacrifice something for style. It is an annual ritual that gets me reacquainted with an old friend.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and may you all be blessed with what you want most in life!

No comments: