One of my goals this year is to use my sourdough starter every week to make something. Sourdough starter needs to be used and replenished fairly frequently, and if it sits for too long without being used it can go off. So I have declared that every Saturday will be Sourdough Saturday in our house. This week I made Sourdough Pancakes from the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook. The recipe can also be found here. Sourdough can work through either the yeasts in it to make things rise, or the acidity of it can react with baking soda to make quickbreads rise.
I whipped up the batter and heated up the skillet. My husband, the self-proclaimed pancake maker in the family, hovered around the edges while I worked. After he kept making suggestions and pointed comments about how pancakes should be made, I not-so-graciously bowed out and let him make the pancakes. This is a man who loves his box of Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Pancake Mix. At first he was dubious, because the batter was pretty thick and didn't pour out. When he sat down and ate some though, he was sold. The tang of the sourdough and the buttermilk were a perfect foil for the sweet maple syrup.
If you are interested in cooking with sourdough, you can either buy your starter or make your own. The basic recipe can be found here. Care and feeding instructions for starter can be found here.

No comments:
Post a Comment