Friday, August 11, 2006

Yadda, yadda, yadda

Did more packing, did more cleaning, yadda yadda yadda. It's easy to fall into monotony with that part. :) I was working on getting the house straightened up for a realtor stopping by to check the place out. I got Box #2 packed and it is full of books, I'm either going to have to get a crane to move it or repack it to make it lighter. One or the other. ;) I used my home-repairwoman skeelz today and replaced the stopper in the bathroom sink. Go figure that I finally fix the annoying lack of a sink stopper when we are moving. Funny how you wait to fix things until you are selling to someone else. Okay, you may not but I do.

So I needed to cook something for breakfast this morning, and I decided to do a refrigerator cleaning out. It was kind of overcast and rainy today, so it put me in the mood for something fall-like. It would be pretty flexible, and you could add whatever you needed to use up. Here's what I came up with:

Spicy Autumn Hash

2 veggie sausage patties (I used Morningstar Farms, you could use regular pork sausage if you'd prefer)
1-2 Tbs. olive oil
1 carrot, peeled, washed and chopped
2 potatoes, peeled, washed and chopped
1/2 c. chopped onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 c. chopped cabbage
1 poblano pepper, seeded, and diced
1 tsp. smoked spanish paprika (adds a nice smoky taste, optional)
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Fry sausage patties in a non-stick skillet according to package instructions. Remove patties and chop up, set aside. Add 1-2 Tbs of olive oil into the skillet, and add carrot, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Toss to coat, turn the heat down a bit, and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables just start to soften up. Add the remaining ingredients, toss to combine. Re-cover and cook for about five more minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook until vegetables reach the desired level of tenderness. Add the sausage crumbles in the last few minutes of cooking.

2 comments:

Kiy said...

Morningstar Farms stuff rocks! BTW, patties are FAR better than the icky links (not that I have an opinion on this subject). I live for the vege burgers. Not the fake ground beef ones. I might have to try this recipe. Thanks Mure! :)

Lythrum said...

I like Morningstar Farms stuff too. Especially their veggie black bean patties and their chicken nuggets. I figure whats in them is not as scary as what really is in a chicken nugget. :) I think I used to get their veggie dogs, but I can't remember. I'll have to try them again and see if they were any good.