Saturday, October 07, 2006
Oh-Em-Gee
I've been wanting to start a new fantasy series for a while, but hadn't found one that caught my attention. We were at the book store on Friday evening and my eye was caught by a book with a very lovely cover, and the description looked very interesting. The name of the book was "The Iron Tree" by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. OMG. I ran a bath in the whirlpool tub tonight and settled in to a good read. I finished page one and was baffled...hubby came in and I started reading him some of the paragraphs and couldn't stop laughing. It has to be the most pretentiously written book that I have ever read. It's like she wrote the whole thing using a thesaurus or something, using words that just don't fit the story/setting at all. Things that might seem okay in a sci/fi book where a geeky scientist was talking possibly, but not a fantasy book with a young protagonist. Finally after reading the second page I threw the book down and vowed to take it back to the store tomorrow. I don't know that I have ever not made it past the first two pages before giving up, it's a new record. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm surprised you didn't drown the book in the garden tub! ;-)
Don'tcha hate it when you're in the mood for a good read but accidentally pick up dreck? Argh!
Are you in the mood for fantasy series only? 'Cause I can rec a really good sci-fi writer, but she doesn't write series. You've heard me babble about her, I'm sure: Connie Willis. Her _Doomsday Book_ is so good, and you won't be tempted to smack the book with a shovel. ;-)
Post a Comment