
I was recently reminded of pasties by one of my friends, who is from Montana and hasn't had them in a long time. Not the pasties that you wear, but the ones that you eat. :) They are a meat-filled pie, that was passed down from Cornish miners, and are very prevalent in most areas with mining history. The miners would take a pasty with them, and heat them up on shovels using a candle for heat. The area that I lived in Minnesota was on the Iron Range and mining is a big industry there. I only had pasties a few times while I was there and helped to make them once. So I didn't have a very strong foundation to go from. But the internet is a wonderful thing, and I found this web resource that had a bunch of recipes:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html
I combined elements from several of them, and used a picture from http://www.pasty.com/ to see how the pastry should be folded. Pie crusts have never been my strong suit, but Madelyne Lawry's recipe on the first link had a very good pie crust. It even survived my fumbling around with it, and for the most part turned out really good. This is in spite of the fact that I realized that I left my rolling pin up in North Carolina, so I had to use the bamboo utensil holder in the kitchen to roll out the dough. Just goes to show that you don't need to have a lot of high priced equipment to make good food. :) Needless to say I stopped by Linens N' Things and picked up a new wooden french rolling pin for future pasty needs. :)
6 comments:
That looks like teh yum! On the subject of rolling pins, I'm trying to make sure Foran_object gets his woodshed built so that he can make me up some small rolling pins that would be useful for Indian breads.
Yummy yummy! I've bookmarked the links!
I have been wanting a French-style rolling pin for a while, never bothered to get one. I did notice that the one I got was the perfect size to also double as a Husband Adjustor. I like multi-functional appliances. ;)
Perhaps the rolling pin can also be used as a boss adjuster? Just askin'...
Husband Adjustor ... hmmm, maybe I need to get one of these! I have finally caught up on all your doings - wow, everything looks great. Hope you guys are happy and enjoying your new surroundings.
P.S. Pasties, oh my. They are HUGE in the northern part of lower Michigan (ha!) and of course, the U.P. I still remember going to Mackinaw, just for the pasties. Going to have to try these! :)
/em hides from husband adjustor wielding women
Post a Comment