I think that almost anyone should be able to see a trend with my cooking, and it is that I love cooking things with beans. When I was a young girl growing up in Arkansas, we ate beans at almost every meal. There wasn't enough money to go around, and beans are very filling. But not only that, they taste delicious and I could eat them every day. Unfortunately I married someone who does not like...nay, hates beans. To his credit, he likes lentils and black eyed peas but that's about it. So normally I make black eyed pea or lentil soups and stews. But every now and then I have to make something with beans.
One of my favorite things to eat when I was growing up was a stew that my maternal grandmother used to make, one that she called San Francisco Stew. It was similar to baked beans in a way, only it was a stew. I was thinking that she put sauerkraut in it, but my mom doesn't remember that and thinks that I added it myself when I was eating. Regardless, I have been wanting the recipe for a long time but she died a few years back and our family is estranged so no recipe for me. I have a vague recollection of it but it's been at least 16 years since I last had any. So below is my first attempt at recreating her stew. It is a sweet and sour soup, very filling and would be great with cornbread. :)
Wincel's San Francisco Stew
1 (14.5 oz) can Great Northern Beans
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 c. molasses
2 Tbs. smoked Spanish paprika
2 tsp. ground mustard (not prepared)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 c. stock
1 c. sauerkraut
Heat oil in a medium saucepan, and add onions. Saute onions until they become translucent. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine, and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
No comments:
Post a Comment