
It's gotten cold outside, and one of the recipes I've been wanting to try to make for a long time now is Dal Makhani, or Madras Lentils. I'd gotten a pre-packaged version from the supermarket a while ago and liked it but didn't like the butter related saturated fat and cholesterol. So I had been meaning to find a recipe and try to make my own. I searched the internet and found several promising ones, and combined elements of each to make my own. Here's the version that I came up with. If you haven't had it before, it's kind of like a lentil chili. Very flavorful but not hot.
Dal Makhani
1 c. lentils
4 c. stock
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
2 garlic cloves
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 green chilies, finely chopped
¼ c. butter or margarine (I used Earth Balance margarine)
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (optional,not authentic but adds a little depth with the smokiness)
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste
Juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbs. brown sugar (again option, not authentic but cuts some of the acidity from the lemon and tomato)
Combine lentils, ginger and garlic with stock in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cover. While the lentils are cooking, prepare the onions and chilies. Heat butter or margarine in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, chilies and spices to oil and sauté 5 minutes. Add kidney beans and tomatoes, stir to combine. When lentils are tender, remove ginger and garlic from pot, and add lentils to the soup pot. Make a paste from the garlic and ginger and return to the soup pot. Stir well to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and brown sugar, stir well to combine.
2 comments:
Mmm, that sounds and looks good. Gonna have to try that one.
It's been cold here today, and it would have been a perfect day for soup!
So cold is what... 95? ;) Looks good though. How's the consistency? I'd almost be tempted to puree half and pour it back in.
Post a Comment