Down to business:
Irises - I am a sucker for a Irises (though not so much the bearded ones). It is probably one of my favorites. I got a mixed order of Siberian Irises last year from Roots & Rhizomes, including Ego, but I only got one bloom from them so far. I found an article about them and my eye got caught by Bumblebee Deelites. Kind of funny how I want to attract bees to my garden and then find a flower that looks like them. ;)
Viburnum - I want to add lots of fall color to my garden and Viburnum is a good way to do so.
Ruby Grass - Grass is something that I want to add more of to my garden. All flowers can be pretty boring. This Ruby Grass caught my eye. It's zone 8 but I think it might work in the protected corner of the garden. I can't ever pick the easy ones. :)
Henry Eilers - I love novel flower shapes and this version of the brown-eyed susan caught my eye.
Fu Dog - My husband and I both have a love for Asian inspired art. I would like to find a Fu Dog (Chinese Guardian Lion) statue to put in our garden.
Cherry Trees - I love the coppery colored bark on some of the cherry trees, as well as the blooms. I would like one but I don't really want more shade in the yard. I will have to weigh it. :)
Cardinal Flower - This is one of the plants that I would like to put around my pond or streambed. It's been on my wish list for a while.
Indian Pink - This is a new one for me, I saw it in an issue of Alabama Gardener. Beautiful flowers aaaannndddd a hummingbird magnet. :)
Passionflower - I have been intrigued by these flowers for a long time. There is something that is so over the top about them that I both want one and don't. I usually favor very simple, classic flowers but every now and then more novel plants creep into my garden.
Choptank Azalea - I saw this in an article and immediately fell in love with it. Rarefinds is the only place that I have been able to find it.
And, by the way I underestimated the number of magazines, it had to have been 40 or more. I'm about 2/3 of the way through now and my bookcase is definately getting roomier. Almost like seeing results from a diet. :)
6 comments:
You have a nice list of plants for the garden! It's very exciting to put one together and then slowly check them off as you add them! Your magazine list made me think of this~~~ I have every magazine from the first issue of Fine Gardening! I still read the older ones..they were chock full of helpful articles...gail
The Passionflower, Cardinal Flower, and Indian Pink are both native here, you know! I like them both.
That bumblebee iris is really something! Too cool.
Hmm, I meant, "are all native here". I need more sleep. :)
Hi Lythrum, I loved reading your list part three as much as the other parts. Ruby grass was new to me so had to click on it, wow gorgeous! I love Fu Dogs too, have a concrete one in front of the Tree Peony for protection. It worked two, out of four plants, the one with the Fu Dog is the only one still alive! :-)
If you are in Chattanooga, the Red Barn Nursery is good too.
Frances
Gail - I used to get Kitchen Gardener magazine and got rid of all but the first one. I really am a hoarder but moving frequently has taken care of a lot of that. :)
Rurality - I actually saw the Indian Pink in an issue of Alabama Gardener in an article on native plants, Cardinal flower has been on my bog garden list for a while. Hopefully that means I'll be able to grow them pretty easy. ;)
Frances - maybe I will have to put up a few Fu dogs for protection...sounds like it works. :) Thanks for the Red Barn Nursery tip, I'll keep it in mind. :)
Viburnums are a favourite, too. Your garden will be spectacular with these additions you have listed.. .. Although there is an northern azalea that can be grown here nothing compared to the southern azaleas.
Hum 2/3 through wonder what you will find on the next 1/3.
Thanks for the thoughtful comment you left on my blog.
Post a Comment