Monday, September 25, 2006

Diversions

When we decided to pull up stakes and move, we left a very comfortable and profitable lifestyle. We both had federal civil service jobs, very good paying, very secure. I was set to get a pretty big promotion in February, and hubby was set to progress pretty quickly too. We lived in a decent house that we bought 13 years ago, with very low payments. We still had quite a few debts to pay off left over from our previous free-spending early 20's. We had quite a few friends, a great church and I had tons of hobbies to keep me busy. I came to realize though, that as good as my job was it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. My husband had the same realization.

Skip to now, I am in my fourth week on the new job. There have been times where it felt like a perfect fit, and times when I wondered what the hell I was thinking. Living in our spiffy new house with all of our debts paid off except a vehicle payment and the mortgage makes the whole thing seem more appealing. The downside of work is that I'm having to put in lots of hours at work, where we are straightening out a section that has been neglected for a long time. I'm up at 4:45 am and often don't come home until around 6:00 pm. I am constantly frustrated with myself because I'm not learning as fast as I want to.....I don't give myself much of a learning curve. ;) It's been very challenging, and is definately using all of my skills. If I can survive these first couple of months I'll be okay. :)

2 comments:

Serdic said...

It was like that when I first started my job too, which was right out of college. I had a hell of a lot to learn, and after a few months it settled down.

There's nothing like the rush of a new problem, that you've not solved before. Well, at least for me. =)

Anonymous said...

I have all confidence in you. You will not only survive these first challenging months, but you will succeed and make a difference in your team's performance. I know you can do it. I've seen you in action, and I can wholeheartedly say that you rock. You're going to do great things for this company!