Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday Mornings

I got up this morning after sleeping in to 6:30 (hey, it's better than the 4:45 that I normally wake up now). I made some breakfast for everyone, the Spicy Autumn Hash recipe I posted earlier and some Tomato Gravy. My friends had really liked what I made for them a couple of nights ago, and said it would be good for breakfast so I made them some. Tomato gravy is now one of my absolute favorites, it's a really pretty one and it has a great flavor but isn't overwhelmingly tomato-ey. Here's the recipe:

Tomato Gravy
1 Tomato, diced
4 c. stock of your choosing (I use Maggi Vegetable Bouillon cubes)
2 Tbs. canola oil
4 Tbs. flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring tomato and stock to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. In a seperate saucepan, heat the oil at medium temperature and then add the flour. Stir the flour well to eliminate any lumps, and cook for a few minutes, stirring to make sure that it doesn't burn. Add the tomato/broth mixture and whisk vigorously to make sure that lumps don't form. Continue stirring until gravy thickens to desired consistency. Taste and see if more salt is required, and add some black pepper.

Today we are planning on running down to Best Buy to pick me up my new digital camera, and maybe stopping by for a bookstore wallow. I'm making some mashed taters for supper tonight, and I needed to pick up what I need to make my other favorite gravy. Four days until we can move into our new house, I probably won't be able to sleep soon. ;)

No comments: