One of the most easily recognized weeds that I know of is Poke Salad. It grows across the Southeast, although I don't know the rest of its range. I had Quickbeam out for a walk yesterday as it was starting to get dark. The road that leads into our subdivision deadends into a weedy birm leading in to the cotton field. I noticed that I could actually tell what quite a few of them were and took this picture which only shows the outline. We used to eat fried poke stalks and poke greens when I was growing up. Birds would eat their dark purple berries and then leave very vivid evidence all over cars and clothes on the line. I don't think I've had any poke since I left home as a teenager, but it brought back a lot of memories to see the plant.Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Poke Salad
One of the most easily recognized weeds that I know of is Poke Salad. It grows across the Southeast, although I don't know the rest of its range. I had Quickbeam out for a walk yesterday as it was starting to get dark. The road that leads into our subdivision deadends into a weedy birm leading in to the cotton field. I noticed that I could actually tell what quite a few of them were and took this picture which only shows the outline. We used to eat fried poke stalks and poke greens when I was growing up. Birds would eat their dark purple berries and then leave very vivid evidence all over cars and clothes on the line. I don't think I've had any poke since I left home as a teenager, but it brought back a lot of memories to see the plant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've always wondered what Poke Salad was--ever since Elvis Presley did that song, 'Poke Salad Annie'. Now I know! For quite a while, I thought he was saying Pork Salad with a southern accent.
Aiyan
That's too funny. I had never heard that song so I had to go look it up on iTunes. Thanks for broadening my music horizons. :)
Post a Comment