Here's what happened:
I was walking by the window in the living room and happened to glance out at my pond. I noticed that there were a lot of little sparrows (that's a guess, I haven't ID'd them) landing around the edge of the pond. And then I noticed what they were doing, they were hopping down on the lily pads and taking a bath on them. I had never seen birds do anything like that with either of my ponds. I would imagine if the birds had been any bigger it wouldn't have worked because their weight would have made the lilypad sink. So since I had my trusty video camera I tried to capture it. The video isn't too good for these reasons:
- My vido camera isn't that high quality, it's a small handheld that is meant to be very portable
- I had to reduce quality on it when I shrank it for a smaller file size
- It was taken through the screen on the living room window
- It is kind of shaky because I am holding it
I have tried previously to move to get a better picture angle, but the birds notice the movement and fly away. So I did the best that I could with it. I'm not sure if you will even be able to see them, they were pretty small.
P.S. I looked at it when it was posted and it was pretty blurry so I don't think you can see them. It did however remind me that I need to pull out the horsetail so that I have a better view of the pond surface from the house. I need to anyway because it is shooting out runners under the gravel as far as three feet away. :P
5 comments:
Good job Lythrum, I did see them although could not tell what kind of birds they were. I can't even get my camera to take a video at all, or get whatever I have tried to take onto the computer, so you are years ahead of me. :-)
Frances
Cute and I did see them.
Very cool. I love the idea that they're jumping on the lilypads. It's like something out of a children's book isn't it?~~Dee
Awesome! Something that my folks (the birdwatchers) do each winter ... remove the screens from the windows that look out onto the bird areas. A thought for next time (although, do it now so you don't scare them!).
Birds have great problem solving skills. Who knew? :)
Cheers, Kiy
Thanks for visiting ladies. :) And Kiy, that is a wonderful idea. We probably shouldn't bother with screens since we open the windows so rarely anyway. We just made the builder give them to us because otherwise they leave them off. You never can tell when you might want to open them or the AC dies in the summertime. I need to give them a good washing too because they need it. :)
Post a Comment