We had our first really hard frost on Friday evening, and woke up yesterday morning to 22 degrees. I figured that would be the end of any blooms that I have, but I still have a few stalwarts hanging on. It looks like Alyssum is going to be the main star of my blog for a while. :) I went out and inventoried yesterday and the pickings are getting pretty slim now. The alyssum by the pond is protected from sunlight early in the morning and probably doesn't start getting exposed until 11 am or so, by which time it has been warming up to the 40's.
There are still a few odd blooms on the light blue creeping phlox.
The few remaining Black-Eyed Susan blooms got touched by the frost.
There are still a few lily pads left on the water lily, but they are starting to get a little ragged now. Not too ragged for my bird friends to use them for a bird bath though, as noted in the post below.
And one of the main stars of the show now, Coneflower seedheads.Those are the major happenings now. I have some wild tulip bulbs to plant today if I don't keep procrastinating. I picked a variety with low winter chill requirements so I'm hoping to get them to rebloom.
7 comments:
I can't get over the beautiful pictures you take. I love (and drool over) your garden. I am so glad you take photos so I can pretend that's my garden! ;)
Cheers, Kiy
P.S. 22 degrees, ouch. I guess I didn't realize it got that cold there.
Wow, it's cold there! We are going to have a cold front with some possible rain next week, and the highs will be in the high 60s-low 70s. We sure need the rain. Haven't had any since August 31. Do the lilly pads just go away and then come back in the spring? I don't know a thing about them. Looks like GTS has kind of faded away. Not many particpants any more that I can find. Wonder what happened.
Aiyana
Kiy - Thanks very much for the compliments. And yeah, before we moved here I would have thought that it would stay warmer too. :)
Aiyana - Ouch on the no rain thing, I can't do without rain for too long or it makes me nervous. The lily pads do die back every fall and then come back. Usually at the end of the year I will pull it up and cut them back to keep the leaves from rotting in the pond. I grow cold hardy lilies that you can leave out, but I believe that if you grow tropical lilies you have to bring them in. I haven't been a part of GTS for that long, does it usually die back in the winter?
Hi Lythrum, those are some tough flowers to survive those low temps. The search will be much more difficult to find something blooming here too. I agree with your comment that wrapping ourselves in the sweaters adds to the fun of the season. Easier to add layers than to subtract them in the heat of summer! :-)
Frances
That phlox is something else...that it can survive a frost! It will always have a spot in my garden! I love the lilypads in your pond...I imagine it is lovely in the summer when they bloom!
Gail
Your alyssum still looks lovely. I like the water lily shot. The shadows give so much interest.
Marnie
Oh my goodness the photo of the lily pads is gorgeous!
Post a Comment