Sunday, March 08, 2009

Why Primroses are a Bad Idea

Okay, maybe not for everyone in every situation, but definately for me and mine. I planted them in a couple of our houses and apparently they didn't do very well. I've always been enchanted by their pretty flowers as pictured here.
The problem is that they spread seedlings EVERYWHERE. I mean there are hundreds of them coming up in the front flower bed, long after the original plants got yanked up. If I ever get these things eradicated they will never be planted in one of my flower beds again. Unless I have a really big area that needs to be naturalized I guess. :)


5 comments:

Randy Emmitt said...

You must be doing something right, I couldn't keep them alive in out garden more than one season.

countrypeapie said...

I wonder if those are the same flowers I used to call Buttercups when I was a kid. They grew wild on the roadside and we would rub our noses in them to turn them (our noses) yellow.

Rosemary said...

I love the pale pink of these flowers tho I agree they can get out of hand. Still they are on my list to put in to the back garden.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lythrum, I love those, but they can be aggressive. The best spot for them is under shrubbery where their reaching roots can do no harm. Maybe larger perennials could stand up to them. The Oenothera species,(there seems to be more than one name for this one) is so pretty, as is the yellow flowered O. I have the yellow, don't know which species along the wall. It fills in nicely and doesn't seem to interfere with the many other small and large perennials there. I love them.
Frances

Aiyana said...

I've been trying to get Mexican Evening Primrose to grow in my garden, for that very reason! These are good to stablize soil on slopes, and I have a slope all across the back of my property, and the soil is too loose and slides. This plant usually does spread, but then, that's only if you don't want it too!
Aiyana