Saturday, April 11, 2009

Buzzy Buzzy

Friday ended up being a very scary day. We had strong thunderstorms roll through, and tornadoes touched down 30 miles away. We ended up spending a good part of the afternoon glued to the TV and weather radio. Thankfully the worst that we got was some quarter sized hail and strong rain/winds. Our prayers are with those that didn't get off so easy. The weather was beautiful after the storm rolled through so I took Quickbeam out to see how the plants had fared. We found the bee above happily working in the bright sunlight.

In lighter news, we had a luncheon at work on Thursday. I was undecided on what to bring for a while, and then I remembered that my friend had found a recipe for a Pig Pickin' Cake for me after hearing me lament about not having one. For those of you unfamiliar, in eastern North Carolina pork barbecues are called Pig Pickin's. I sampled one of these cakes at a work luncheon and really liked it. I asked the gent that brought it for the recipe, but being a crusty old smart a$$e @$#@#$ he only replied that it was "made from hooves & snouts" in a really wise guy tone. Unfortunately for the old windbag, the internet exists so I have my recipe after all. :)

Pig Pickin' Cake

1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
2 (11 oz) cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (15 oz) can crushed pineapple
1 (16 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Shredded, sweetened coconut to taste

Prepare the cake according to package directions, adding the drained oranges in before you blend up the cake batter. Bake according to package instructions, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

To make the frosting, combine the crushed pineapple, whipped topping and pudding mix. Spread over the top of the cake. Sprinkle liberally with coconut. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Happy Easter to you, glad you are safe from the storms.
Love the name of the cake and looking forward to trying it...Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

That sounds yummy and familiar; my mom may have made it but under a different name. A name like Pig Pickins I would surely remember!

Unknown said...

Pig Pickin -- LOVE it!! I'm writing down the recipe and will be making it asap! I love orange cake and whipped topping so I can't wait to try it!

Gail said...

Good morning! The storms were pretty scary as they raced over us...we were fortunate to get nothing but the winds, rain and a little hail. Pig Pickin...truthfully I have never been to a real southern barbecue! Just eaten the delicious results! Have a great day...more rain here. gail

countrypeapie said...

My son discovered a bee in his pants the other day. He had just put them on and was sitting on the floor when his legs started to buzz! There are so many of them buzzing around the wisteria that has taken over the hackberry tree that the whole tree sounds as though it is vibrating!