
Way back in the mists of time, when I was pregnant, someone told me about a Chinese superstition. Supposedly if you kill a cricket your cow will give sour milk for a year. At the time we had a lot of crickets getting into our building. So in the interests of making sure that my baby's food supply didn't go sour for a year I would go catch the crickets with a cup and a piece of paper and let them go outside. I did it that whole summer and I am pleased to say that it must have worked because my milk supply has always been bountious. I picked up this guy at a garden place because he reminded me of that time. Yesterday morning at work a cricket came into our office again and I had to smile. :) So I figured that I would go take a picture and write about it again before I forgot again.
4 comments:
So glad your milk is bountious :-)
I like him! When we had our gecko, we used to have to feed him live crickets. I guess we were just lucky with the milk thing. :)
BTW I never could understand it when I read that people (the Chinese maybe?) kept crickets as pets for their lovely singing. I mean, they're so dang LOUD. But the kind you buy to feed to geckos are a different kind... they really do have a soothing sound, and aren't loud at all. But they are a little stinky!
I grew up on a dairy, and I can attest that this superstition is untrue! As kids, we killed lots of crickets and our milk stayed sweet. LOL.
Love the sculpture, especially displayed on the white rock.
Aiyana
Love the cricket and the story behind it!
Post a Comment