Sunday, January 20, 2013

#59 - Paint the Butterbug

My super talented and creative cousin makes metal sculptures for lawns and gardens. Last summer, he agreed to make one for me. He asked what sort of things I liked and I told him just about anything - animals, bugs, flowers. He needed a challenge, so I said a firefly - that had an area where I could put a candle and light it up at night. He brought the results to my sister's wedding in July. Here it is:
It has a solar cell on it, which lights up a lightbulb on its tail. Since it looks like a cross between a butterfly, dragonfly and lightening bug, I took to calling it my butterbug. Unfortunately, it came home with us in the middle of the heat of summer. I put it out in the back yard garden gravel and it sat there for a while. I noticed it starting to get rusty so I got some paint for it, but hadn't gotten it painted. So I put it on my to-do list for this year so I wouldn't let my beautiful butterbug rust away. Since we have had a nice warm sunny spell for the last few days I broke out the spray paint cans and got it painted.


2 comments:

Kat said...

Very cool!

Rosemary said...

So cute , very creative.