Monday, January 07, 2013

Book Review - The Infernal City and Lord of Souls

I have had these two books on my shelf for over a year now. I am an avid fan of the Elder Scrolls games, so when I had heard there were books out I had to get them. They got dubious ratings from reviewers at Amazon.com, but since I understand that books relating to games are usually not expected to be high literature, I decided to give them a try. Firstly, if you are a fan of the game series, you should probably read them for the lore tidbits if nothing else. I found myself both compelled and annoyed at points of the books.

I love the setting in Tamriel, but the story itself is pretty odd. A floating island from Oblivion invades the empire (or remnants of the empire), killing everyone it floats over. Several characters are followed as they try to rid the land of the menace. The characters have stiff dialogue at times, and aren't that likeable. However, on the other hand, there isn't a fellowship of nobles traveling together around a heretofore hidden teenaged heir of some long lost line of kings that turns out to be a super-magician-fighter-savior-of-the-world. It was refreshing to at least have something different. So I found myself with mixed emotions about the books. I would recommend them if you are a fan of the series, but otherwise you'd probably get lost. And that marks two books off of my list for this year. :)

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Will Have to check out the game first