Sunday, September 28, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday - 9/28/2008

One of my favorite things about fall and winter is how the seedheads and skeletal remains of plants become the focus of interest instead of the flowers themselves. I was looking around today to see what was blooming and noticed the seedheads on my blanket flowers.
Joseph's Coat still had a few rogue blooms left on it. It has taken a break for the last couple of months and been putting on new growth. I finally had enough to tie it up to the trellis.

The water lily is still going gangbusters in the pond. The lilypads have pretty much taken it over. I'm going to have to pull it out soon and trim it back for the winter.

The sweet alyssum is still plugging along in the scree garden. It has spread quite a bit from when I planted it earlier this spring.

Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

great pictures, love your Josephs coat rose

Good Acres said...

Nice photos -- particularly liked the water lily. -- Good Acres

Aiyana said...

I always liked the Joseph's Coat rose, and saw a marvelous one covering an arbor during a garden tour this past spring. I'm always envious, but just don't want to get started with roses again. We're still in the low 100s here, so there are few indicatons of fall so far. I can't wait.
Aiyana

WiseAcre said...

Nice water lily shot. I sometimes wish I had made my pond deep enough to grow water lilies.

Lythrum said...

Actually my pond is only about 35 gallons, I just had to find a smaller variety of waterlily. I think 'Helvola' is one of the good ones for small ponds/containers.

Unknown said...

It makes me sad because I know winter is coming, but the seedheads do have an artistic appeal to them! That water lily still looks great!