All that I can say is that I'm really glad that we didn't have anywhere that we had to be this weekend. It is cold. Not quite as cold as the -40 that Minnesota is having, but cold for here. :) The picture above is the ice on my lotus container. We went down to Lake Guntersville this morning to have brunch with a friend of ours at the Outlaw Steakhouse. I had ideas of getting some good pictures to post while we were there because it is very scenic. I quickly decided though that maybe the springtime would be a better time for pictures.So we came home and I decided that we would have chili and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper. Here is my reliable stand-by chili recipe.
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 (5 oz) can of tomato juice
1 (16 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
2 (16 oz) cans of black beans, drained
1/4 c. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. each black pepper, oregano, sugar
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
In a frying pan, brown the ground beef, onions and green peppers. Put the remaining ingredients in a pot, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or so.
I personally don't drain the beef because ground sirloin has barely any but if you used a higher fat percentage you would want to.
5 comments:
We made chili this weekend too! It was 10 here Fri morning.
Did you see any eagles at Guntersville?!
No, I didn't. I saw some seagulls, ducks of some sort and a heron but no eagles. I was busy keeping my baby preoccupied in the car though and didn't get to look around a whole lot. I definately want to go back when it gets a little warmer and I can spend more time poking around.
YOur chili recipe looks yummy and what a great idea with such cold weather.
Hope you feel better soon!
Take Care!
Too cold isn't it! Now I must have chili for dinner! Take care....gail
Post a Comment