The first victim of the culling was a Better Homes and Gardens special edition from 2007. Here is what I liked in this magazine:
- Bonsai - I have always been fascinated by bonsai and so I would like to incorporate a specimen in my garden. I actually have some plans on doing some sort of tribute to the Ave Maria Grotto here in Cullman, AL and could work a bonsai into that. So I need to figure out what kind of tree I want and whether to do it from seed or buy one already started.
- Hollyhocks - I really love the simple charm of the single hollyhocks and think they would be good for a back border. So somewhere in my plan I need to put a stand of these.
- My whole pond area is up for redesign this year and I want to incorporate a streambed with some small waterfalls into it. I am working on a sketch of my ideas and will post it when I get it done.
- I saw a cleome plant at the house of one of my friends. I have decided that I need this plant in my garden too. And maybe I can beg some off of her since it tends to naturalize. :)
- Soil improvement - I need to work on a good soil mix for my raised beds.
- Reading bench - I would love to make a reading spot out in my garden. I'm trying to figure out a way that it could have some shade but not be too shady, if you get my meaning. And finding a comfy bench/chair is going to be tough...has to be okay to sit in for a while but still be able to be left outdoors.
So there are the results from magazine #1. Seeing how big of a list came from one magazine I think I'm in for it since I have about 25-30 of them to go through. ;)
8 comments:
You've got a lot of great ideas You may already know this but a great way to "cheat" on bonsai is to go to the nursery and look for small (1 gallon) sized shrub with a thick trunk and nice branching. You can start pruning and shaping the foliage, then root prune and replant it in a bonsai dish. I've done this with cotoneaster and dwarf conifers.
I look forward to seeing the pond/stream photos.
You've got a lot of great ideas You may already know this but a great way to "cheat" on bonsai is to go to the nursery and look for small (1 gallon) sized shrub with a thick trunk and nice branching. You can start pruning and shaping the foliage, then root prune and replant it in a bonsai dish. I've done this with cotoneaster and dwarf conifers.
I look forward to seeing the pond/stream photos.
I too have stacks of mags and books. It must be the writer in me, I just can't part with the magazines. The books, of course, there's no giving them up. I keep saying I'll go through the mags and never do. Good for you. and great idea for a post.
Hi Lythrum, oh how fun to go through the magazines with you. Your ideas sound worthy and I like that you are aiming high! I used to tear out the ideas from magazines and finally put them all in notebooks by subject. Lately none of the magazines has had anything worth tearing out so I give them to be used in the waiting room at the mammogram center. They love to have women's magazines.
Frances
Love the idea of a reading chair.
Hollyhocks are a favourite flower too. Looking foward to seeing what ideas you find in your other magazines and what you follow up on.
At one time I received 30 magazines a month. Seven of those were related to my work, eight were home and garden magazines, eight more were hobby magazines, five news magazines, two were yoga magazines. If I'd ever tried to write up lists of things from them--I'd have to live a long long time! I've now cut back to five magazines a month, and NO work magazines since I'm retired. Many of them did have some great ideas, if I just had any time after reading.
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do with that many magazines!
Oh, and thanks for the tip on the shrubs for bonsai Grace, it might be a good way for me to get started with it. :)
And yes Gardeness, the books aren't going anywhere. :) At least not yet. If the extra space gets too contagious though I might have to prune them down too. ;)
Post a Comment