One of our goals this year was to reduce our elective spending and focus on getting our bills paid off and building up an emergency savings. One of our major major wastes of money was going out in the evenings and getting coffee and pastries or cookies. If we went to Starbucks we would spend about $12 or so, if we went to McDonalds and got cookies and coffee it would be about $4. Either way we would spend the money to get there. So I have been trying to make coffee at home but the cookies part wasn't happening. A couple of nights ago I got the urge again but didn't want the mess of cookies. I started thinking about shortbread because we have an extra box of butter in the fridge that needs to be used up before it goes bad. So I went to Baking Bites because it is one of my favorite cooking blogs. She has a recipe there for Cashew Brittle Bars that are basically shortbread with cashews in it. We just got a big container of cashews at Sam's so it was like a perfect storm. I baked them and it was one of the best baked goods I have ever tried. I even have a shortbread pan that makes the thistle imprint on the surface of them. Note that for my shortbread pan I cut the recipe in half and it fit perfectly.
Since we both have a tendancy to pig out on any baked goods that are around the house we both ate one of the bars. I froze the rest in a ziploc baggie and took them out to reheat them when we got the coffe/pastry urge. It has worked out beautifully so far. The bars are by far better than anything at either place and so we're not going out anymore. It isn't exactly healthy for us, but neither were their snacks. So here's one for cutting costs and still getting comfort. :)
5 comments:
Hi,
When we moved out of the big city, I went through Starbucks withdrawal big time. You're doing it by free choice! I commend you.
We had the opposite experience. We moved here from somewhere that didn't have a Starbucks anywhere near it. So we started going a couple times a week. It easily adds up to $100+ a month. Thanks for stopping by!
Good luck on your cost cutting! It's a worthwhile thing whether you need to or not.
Aiyana
Good for you on your efforts to become fiscally responsible.
It is the little things that seem to add up and we wonder where did the money go.
I know when I was working 12 hour shifts had to plan
2 meals, always amazed me the staff buying both and how much money they spent in just one month.
Besides home baked goods always taste far better than boughten......this way you know what is in the treats too.
Hurrah for you.
Amazing how a little cup of coffee can add up to hundreds of dollars. It sounds like you have a good plan going. gail
Post a Comment