Sunday, January 25, 2009

Green Thumb Sunday 1/25/09

It's a beautiful balmy 47 degrees for a high today so I am not going to complain that it is a bit chilly outside. I looked out in the back garden today and saw that my winter all-star creeping phlox is still blooming so I had to feature it. There were a lot of birds taking a bath and getting a drink in the pond today, so it was an interesting show out the back window. There are still a lot of seedheads on the plants that I'm going to have to take care of and cut back sooner or later.


I loved the contrast of the spiky shadows on the rocks under the coneflower seedhead.


And there are still the remnants of the three aster blooms from last fall.

And as if taunting me for my inactivity the horsetail has runners up three feet or so from the main plant. I mean to pull it up in the spring and haven't decided if I want to put it in a container or just get rid of it. I'm not feeling too sympathetic for it right now. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lythrum, what a cheerful face the little phlox has. I have a similar variety called candy stripe, I think. No blooms for us yet and cold yet again. Looks like you have seeds ready to just stick into the ground when you do your clean up. I love the self sowers. That horsetail is scary if pretty. We had it in Houston and it has probably taken over the whole neighborhood by now. Maybe a metal container with no holes in the bottom, I have seen it split plastic wide open. But still think it attractive.
Frances

Gail said...

Hello Lythrum,

I've heard that horsetail can be very aggressive and have seen it in boggy places where it is the only plant. It's always a tough call for me to remove plants...I wish I had been quicker to deal with the vincas.

I love coneflowers and look forward to spring when I will get to see if there were crosses among the different varieties..that's always fun. Like Frances,I have a fine appreciation for the self sowers. Phlox is a self sower in my garden...another lovely plant that crosses.

gail

Rosemary said...

Hi Lythrum, I envy you 47 , freezing here this AM at -17 C.
So cold!
Love the beauty of the seed heads, great picture with the contrast of the rock.
Had horsetail in my last garden always pulling it out, if only the flowers were as tough.