Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pico de Gallo Garden

Back when we lived in Virginia, about 10 or so years ago I started growing some vegetables. They didn't ever do that well and I gave up when we moved to North Carolina. Now that we are getting settled again here, I would like to give it a try again. I figure that this time I'll start small and then when I have proven that I can take care of a very small amount of garden plants I'll slowly start adding more. I always wanted to try Square Foot Gardening, so I figured that if I started with one 4'X4' bed that would be good for the first season.

Now the other fact of the matter is that I am a hopeless addict to fresh salsa. I can literally go through a whole big bowl by myself in no time flat. So I figured that the best thing to attempt growing was a salsa garden. After spending quite a bit of time out in San Diego I have settled on Pico de Gallo as being my favorite form. There is something about its elemental simplicity that I love. So since I have been piled under with seed catalogs for the last couple of months ago, I finally pulled out the Cook's Garden catalog to have a look at what they are offering this year. Here's what I'm looking at getting:

Persimmon Tomatoes - These are the tomatoes that I tried growing in Virginia. I am really debating whether to try starting my own seeds or just buying some plants instead. My seed starting efforts in the past haven't been that successful. So if I go with plants I will probably get something locally.

Red Baron Scallions - I am a sucker for things that have different colors in them. I figure if you're going to the trouble of growing your own veggies you should get something you can't just buy in the supermarket.

Jalapeno - The peppers are subject to the same dilemma as the tomatoes - try to start seeds or get plants. Jalapenos are the classic peppers for Pico de Gallo and I definately don't need anything hotter.

Cilantro Defino - I like limited amounts of cilantro in my salsa, it is very easy to overdo. When there's too much it reminds me of soap. Not a good thing by any means. I like this one because it's feathery so I won't have to try as hard to chop it up fine.

So there are my plans. Which do you guys think...start my own seeds or buy plants?

6 comments:

Kiy said...

Yikes, I'd go with plants myself but since you are my Garden God(dess) I think you can do anything. (no pressure)

BTW, this past summer we found the most amazing tomato. Jeff said it's the best he's ever had (high praise). It wouldn't go in your salsa garden I wouldn't think, but an interesting experiment. The seller/grower told me it is called a Chocolate Tomato. The ones we had were just a tad larger than a cherry tomato. I am toying with doing a (very small) container garden with these. If I can find them (as a plant).

Oh, and back when we lived in VA - at the same time as you but sadly we didn't know each other then - I also read up on square foot gardening. Then, my first garden I planted went bust and I never was brave enough to try gardening again. I am much better container gardener. Go figure.

Good luck, I am looking forward to spring on many levels but really because I can't wait to see your garden come alive again!

Kiy

Aiyana said...

My husband's daughter in Virginia has a Pico de Gallo garden. They must eat gallons of the stuff each year--no kidding! They use it on everything! Of course, here in Arizona it is common fare in Mexican places, and I always order extra.
Aiyana

Rosemary said...

What a great idea, a salsa garden, I want a little veggie garden this summer too , pondering what to grow. Your suggestions to grow what one can't find in a store, the more unusual varieties rings a bell for me.
Thanks for the tip

Gail said...

I am sending this post to a friend whose husband will want to grow his own salsa garden! I hope you are having a great day! gail

Rurality said...

Cool scallions! I like odd-colored things too. I wonder if they stay red after cooking...?

Lythrum said...

Thanks folks. :)

Kiy - The Chocolate Tomato might be interesting to try if I branch out some. :) And yes, too bad we didn't know each other then. Here I'd much rather go with containers or raised beds than fighting with clay soil.

Aiyana - I so envy you living in Arizona...Southwestern food is one of my very favorites.

Rosemary - I hope that you have luck with your veggie experiment too. I'd like to mix some flowers in with the rest of my stuff too. Nothing extravagant, but something to add color.

Gail - I had a great day, I hope that you stayed warm. ;)

Rurality - I'm not sure if it would or not, but most of the time I use scallions they are raw. I would think that the color would at least be less vivid. I'm not sure.