Sunday, August 10, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday 8/10/08

I didn't have a lot of hope left for my Angel Face rose at the beginning of this season. It had been hit hard by black spot and didn't even have a leaf left on it. I gave it some intense spraying therapy for a couple of weeks and then forgot about it until now. There are a couple of Japanese Beetles chewing on it, but otherwise it is doing so much better. Since I featured so many front yard plants last week, this post is for my back yard plants. This is my Joseph's Coat rose still blooming away. It is starting to get long enough to train up the trellis, which I am going to have to start doing soon.
This is the latest addition to my garden, 'Southern Charm' verbascum. I remember seeing it a long time ago, when I first started getting seed/gardening catalogs. I loved it but never did get any of it. When I was at Bennett's on my last visit I found some and finally fulfilled that wish. It is currently planted by the "Mum that Ate Alabama" so I'm hoping that it doesn't get eaten, like is about to happen to my garden gnome.

Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

3 comments:

Kiy said...

Oh my, I love the Joseph's Coat rose, and I am not really a rose kind of gal. Well, not true. I love them, don't have the patience to cater to them. Hence why visiting your blog is so wonderful, I love love love all the photos!

Have a great week, Kiy

P.S. I gave you an award, with luck I did it right! :)

Rosemary said...

Your Angel Face rose is an interesting shape , Joseph's Coat rose is a lovely colour and I will have to remember to look for the verbascum . Beautiful!

Lythrum said...

Thanks very much for the award Kiy. I also am not that much into pampering roses so mine get neglected and the strong ones survive. Deadheading is about the only thing that I do, and even that isn't very frequent. We have sprayed a few times this year because of black spot.

Thanks for the kind words Rosemary. :)