Saturday, August 15, 2009

Arkansas Visit - Day One

Yesterday we headed out to Arkansas to visit my mother and my sister. We got up at normal work wake up time - 5:00 a.m. The drive is 6-7 hours, so it isn't too challenging. We stopped about an hour in for breakfast, and just past Memphis for lunch. Things went well, the Gnomeslayer fell asleep shortly after we got back in the car. We drove for about another hour and had to stop for a bathroom break. Unfortunately when we stopped GS woke up and started crying and fussing. We tried stopping and letting her out for a while, but whenever we got back in the car she would start up again. We were about an hour from Conway, our destination so we went ahead and pressed on. After a very LONG hour we finally got to our hotel.
My sister came and picked me up, and the GS and I headed over to her place for a visit. We went to the Peyton Creek Catfish House for dinner. When I was planning for the trip, I looked up Conway restaurants and saw this place got very good reviews. It was supposed to be a family-type place, with no frills but good food, and extremely good catfish. My sister and her husband had seen it but never eaten there so we headed out. It was true to the review for the most part. It was very no-frills and basic, the food was served on an all you can eat buffet. The catfish was probably some of the best I have ever had, unfortunately the rest of the food was pretty mediocre. I tried to take some pictures inside but it was so crowded that I couldn't get any good shots.
This place was way off of the beaten path, with fields and woods around it. There was a pasture with horses so I took GS over so that she could see them. While we were standing by the fence I looked down and saw this:
There was a passionflower vine growing along the bottom of it and was in full bloom. I tried growing one of these in my backyard and it didn't work, and here is one growing wild along a fence. Go figure. :)

3 comments:

countrypeapie said...

We've got passion flower growing wild in our field. I tried to grow it when we lived in the city and it never took off. It's growing wild in the woods around the primary school here, too -- I always notice it when I'm in the drop-off/pick-up line. We tried eating the wild fruit, but it's not quite like the passion fruit you get at the store.

Kiy said...

Hope you are having a nice time visiting family. Sorry about that last hour, that is my dreaded fear for our drive. Jeff is suggesting we lay in a supply of ear plugs. Yikes!

Cheers, Kiy

Lythrum said...

Thanks for the visit ladies. :) Honestly Kiy, one of the most effective things for keeping her busy was a blanket and her word book. When she got bored with looking at the book we played peek-a-boo with the blanket. We have a portable DVD player, but she isn't old enough yet to really be into watching much yet.