Friday, August 21, 2009

While You Were Out

After we got back from our Arkansas trip, we stepped out back to see how the garden had fared. When we left, everything seemed to be fine. The first thing Q noticed was that the lotus container was dry as a bone, dirt cracked and leaves brown. Mind you, we were gone for TWO DAYS. He refilled it and it was bubbling up like a jacuzzi while the parched earth started to drink again.

The scree garden was overrun with weeds, the pond pump had stopped working and the roses all had black spot again. The creeping phlox that has flourished all summer had started to turn brown.
Horsetails had started popping up everywhere.
I kept repeating to myself "We were only gone two days!" It seemed that everything had fallen apart. I guess my task this weekend is to do try to do damage control and get it as cleaned up as I can. On the bright side, my Japanese Anemone finally opened up!

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Darn horsetail, always amazing how things can change in only 2 days!

countrypeapie said...

Oh, the frustration! A while back, I skipped checking my veg garden for one day (sheer laziness), and the next day I found giant green tomato worms had ravaged several plants! The daily rounds leave you feeling as though things are taking forever to happen -- it's only when you stop watching the pot that it boils!