
My boss went on vacation a couple of weeks ago, to Hilton Head, SC. When she came back, she brought me a present, a sampler of fruit salsas. There were several varieties - peach, mango, pineapple, raspberry and pomegranate. The only ones that I really cared for were peach and raspberry versions. The fruit in the others had an overpowering presence and I just didn't enjoy them. So I got to wondering how it would be to make a fresh salsa with peaches, and here's what I made. First, the peach that you use shouldn't be too ripe. It needs to have a fairly firm consistency. I used cherry tomatoes sliced instead of chopped - I got this idea from the bruschetta at Macaroni Grill. I really liked it and plan on making it often. The flavor of the peaches is really not overpowering, and the counterpoint of the lemon juice and salt makes it so that it isn't too sweet.
Peach-O de Gallo
1 peach, peeled and finely diced
1 container cherry tomatoes or 1 whole tomato, finely diced or sliced
3 green onions, washed well and finely chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and finely minced (if you like hot food use a jalapeno)
1 Tbs. fresh cilantro (dried is not the same)
Juice from one lemon
Salt to taste
Combine in a bowl and mix well. Tastes better after it is chilled for a couple of hours.
2 comments:
It sounds delicious! I also love mango salsa! gail
Yum!
Post a Comment